A native of Northwest Minnesota, Jason Kohlmeyer has known the value of hard work from a young age. Spending summers on his uncle’s farm he learned the benefit of getting the job done right. Jason joined the Army Reserve while still in high school and became an Army Intelligence Analyst after high school, working his way through Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota.
After college Jason became a Social Studies teacher in St. Paul, Minnesota, he realized he wanted to help solve people’s problems he began to pursue his dream of becoming an attorney. Jason graduated from Hamline University School of Law, in St. Paul, Minnesota.
After clerking at the Dakota County Attorney’s office and seeing first-hand how people need individualized attention and interaction with attorneys who truly care, he went to work in the private sector. When he became an attorney in 2000, he knew he wanted to improve the client experience. Jason applied his work ethic and drive to help people by starting up his own law firm in 2008.
Jason focuses his law practice in the area of Family law. Having been helping people in both family law and personal injury since 2000 his family law practice focuses on divorce, spousal support, child custody & farm divorces. Jason has spoken nationally on family law issues.
Jason also represents people seeking compensation after being hurt in the Mankato area, whether by a car accident, slip and fall, and dog bites. An experienced and dedicated trial lawyer, Jason has received a $1.1M verdict on behalf of an injured client as well as many 6 figure settlements to compensate his injured clients. He believes strongly in helping receive justice for his clients.
Jason now lives in Mankato, with his wife and children. He enjoys adventuring, learning the drums and is still working on learning Spanish. Jason also became a published author recently completing his first book. “The Divorce Survival Guide: Getting Divorce in Minnesota” for sale in both print and kindle edition on Amazon.com
Jason’s Awards & Recognitions
• Named “Best Lawyers in American” 2018
• U.S News and Word Report Best Lawyers “Best Best Law Firm”
• Named “Super Lawyer” from 2014-2018, an award limited to 5% of Minnesota Attorneys
• Named a “Rising Star” by Minnesota Law & Politics from 2003-2012 an award limited to 2.5% of Minnesota Attorneys under 40
• Listed as a “Top 10” up and coming lawyer by Minnesota Lawyer Newspaper, 2002
• Star of the Quarter” by the American Bar Association’s-YLD One of 10 “up and coming lawyers” by Minnesota Lawyer Magazine, 2002
• Former Chair, Family Law Section of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America
• Past Board of Governor member for the Minnesota State Bar Assoc. Criminal Law Section
• Rated a 10/10 by avvo.com, an independent lawyer ranking organization
• Graduate of the NITA trial advocacy college
• Awarded Silver Key for service to the American Bar Association – YLD
• Named a “top 1%” attorney by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
• Receiving the grade of “Advocate” by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America
• Named a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
• Named a Top 100 trial lawyer, by the National Trial Lawyers
• Recognized as a Top 10 attorney 2013 & 2015 by NAFLA
• Past Fellow of the American Bar Association – Family Law Section